Virtualbox is very popular open source virtualization software created by Oracle. It can be used in enterprise or home.VirtualBox is cross-platform software, means can run it on Linux, Windows or Mac. It is the best solution to test new and latest Operating systems (other is KVM) If you like to do that :).
The latest version of VirtualBox is 5.1.12. New upgrades in VirtualBox 5.1.12 are as follows:
- Improved Linux integration: Automatic modules deployment in case of a Linux Kernel upgrade and improved systemd integration for the latest releases of popular Linux distributions.
- Flash storage emulation: New NVMHCI storage controller emulation available, able to emulate NVME devices – Flash storage – on guest Virtual Machine.
- Improved Performance: Significantly improved performance for multi-CPU virtual machines and networking.
- Bug Reporting Tool: New utility able to collect all the information and logs related to the host and guest operating system, for debug or analysis purposes.
- New logging functionalities to highlight and filter information related to guest Virtual Machines.
- Improved multimedia availability: Improved support for different USB devices and multi-channel audio availability.
About this guide:
Install Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04.
Delete the previous versions of VirtualBox.
The latest release, 5.1, conflicts with the old 5.0.x or 4.x releases. So we will delete remove the previous VirtualBox installation from ubuntu 16.04 system:
shell> sudo apt remove virtualbox virtualbox-5.0 virtualbox-4.*
Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 16.04.
Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib
[email protected]:~$ wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - OK
Update the system.
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get update
Search for the available VirtualBox packages.
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-cache search virtualbox | grep ^virtualbox
Install the latest version of VirtualBox available.
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.1
If you are experiencing “The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG …” when refreshing the packages from the repository then follow these steps to remove this error.
shell> sudo -s -H shell> apt-get clean shell> rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* shell> rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* shell> apt-get clean shell> apt-get update
Install VirtualBox 5.1 from .deb package in Ubuntu 16.04.
Download the .deb package of Virtualbox from their official site.
Compare the sha256sum to verify the integrity of downloaded packages. The SHA256SUMS values for various packages can be found here.
Verify the integrity of VirtualBox package.
Install the latest VirtualBox 5.1 in Ubuntu 16.04.
shell> dpkg -i virtualbox-5.1_5.1.12-112440~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb
Launch VirtualBox 5.1.
shell> which virtualbox /usr/bin/virtualbox
Or Go to Ubuntu dash and type “virtualbox”.
Check the version of VirtualBox.
Now you have installed the latest version of VirtualBox.
Thanks for visiting this page and Have a Great day. 🙂